- Ever been arrested?
- Ever kissed someone you don’t like?
- Vanilla or chocolate?
And on and on and on….
However, one question really got me thinking:
Had a close brush with death (your own)?
And, it’s MY blog and I can post what I damn well please!
1. When I was a toddler, I was very sick with pneumonia and had to be hospitalized and put in an oxygen tent for a week so I could breathe.
2. Drank bleach, back to hospital.
The last snorkeler swam away and then I found I was alone (and loving it) when I saw something big moving towards me in the shadows. I freaked and started to swim away with the big something behind me. I would not look back to see what it was and swam like hell.
Fast even strokes, fast even strokes, don’t look back!!! I could not look behind me to see when it stopped chasing me. Ok, I guess if it really wanted me, it would have caught me! Maybe it wasn’t chasing me but just was curious? I’ll never know but the valuable lesson was never snorkel, dive or swim alone!
Naturally, the map never indicated anything about the falling rock, the winding roads without guardrails or that you couldn’t stop once you got on the “road.” La Diva was also unaware that her muffler was broken in half and hanging off the back of her car, half of it up against the bottom of her trunk melting the make up that was in a case just above the muffler.
That drive was treacherous and not relaxing at all, La Diva was white-knuckling it for three hours straight! If anything had happened and my car broke down I would have been SOL!
5. When I first moved to Australia, I was driving at night in the rain on two-way highway and, thinking it was a one-way highway, I ended up driving the wrong way in the lane and had a near-miss head-on with a truck.
6. After a concert at the Metro in downtown Sydney, impatient me started running across a busy six lane road just as light turned from red to green. There was a cab zooming up the inside lane that did not see me and just ticked the back heel of my foot as I leaped with all my strength like a gazelle onto the curb, heart pounding.
8. La Diva was swimming at an isolated beach on the Hawai’ian island of Oahu with my first husband and at that time was not used to swimming in the ocean when I noticed three very large waves coming in. I don’t know if you realize how big waves can get in Hawai’i and I would not fathom to tell you how big they were. Let’s just say I saw them coming in huge and fast and knew we were in trouble.
I tried to go under them but they were too strong and I got tossed like a little shell. I had just enough time to come up for air after the first two and the last huge kahuna dumped me violently on the beach, my head a half a foot away from the rocks, out of breath, heart pounding like a little bird’s.
When I returned to my car, I had found they had broken the windshield wipers off my car out of spite. I found their car parked down a side street (spineless punks!) and being the logical person I am, took a crowbar and knocked off their side mirror while still sitting in my car. Just then, they all came running back to see me and one punched me in the face through my window but didn’t really connect.
We then proceeded to engage in a crazy car chase around the north side of Chicago with La Diva maneuvering the car like Steve McQueen (I am from Detroit, after all!) I was in my early 20’s, driving my boyfriend’s Dodge with a V8 and with the right side door bashed in. It was like something out of a movie.
Thank God police saw the fracas and pulled us over and I “got away.” But when cop found out one of the guys had hit me, he wanted me to prosecute, I didn’t. I just wanted to get home as fast as I could. After driving back home as quickly as possible and putting my car safely hidden in the back of the building, La Diva then collapsed on the back porch from a fading adrenaline rush! I was a tough skinny little white girl. Still am. (not as skinny though!)
Now then, just be lucky YOU don’t have a daredevil daughter like La Diva! Do YOU have any near death experiences that you’d like to share? La Diva would LOVE to hear them! Ciao!cooking class, cocktails, parties, cocktail party, Miami, coral gables, events, bartending class, cocktail class, Laura Lafata, Miami Beach, miami cooking classes, bachelorette parties, bachelorette party
Originally posted 2009-08-15 13:56:00.